Testing of a Low Profile Excluder Dredge for Winter Founder Bycatch Reduction
- Total Amount Awarded: $200,000
- Project Duration: April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2013
- Status: Completed
- Ronald Smolowitz, Project Leader, Coonamessett Farm Foundation, Inc.
- Matt Weeks, Coonamessett Farm Foundation, Inc.
- Ronnie Enoksen, Dockside Repair, Inc.
- Peter Anthony, Eastern Fisheries
- Tor and Hans Bendiksen, Reidar’s Manufacturing
The low profile scallop dredge frame will be constructed in two sizes; a 9-foot wide version for the LAGC fleet and a 15-foot wide version for the LA offshore fleet. The dredge will be taken to sea on dedicated research trips; 15 DAS for the small dredge and 21 DAS for the larger dredge. The gear will be tested in areas of high concentrations of winter flounder. In addition about 5 DAS will be dedicated to studying winter flounder behavior using an ROV. The objective is to gather comparison fishing data on the low profile dredge design for both inshore and offshore fleets. In addition, behavioral data will be collected using the ROV to ascertain how winter flounder can be encouraged to avoid capture, or to escape once caught, in scallop dredges and other gear types. The resulting information will be used to improve the low profile scallop dredge frame and possibly other gear types.
Final Report - submitted in response to science peer reviewer comments - click here
Letter in response to Science Peer Reviewer Comments - click here
Science Peer Reviewer Comments - click here