Mapping and Characterizing Fish Habitat in Rhode Island and Block Island Sounds
- Program:Southern New England Collaborative Research Initiative (SNECRI)
- Total Amount Awarded: $185,413
- Project Duration: June 1, 2010 - May 31, 2012
- Status: Completed
- Jeremy S. Collie, Professor of Oceanography, URI
- John W. King, Professor of Oceanography, URI
- James Gartland, VIMS
- Michael Marchetti, Owner/Operator F/V Mister G, Captain Robert Fisheries Inc.
- James Ruhle, Captain, F/V Darana R
- David Taylor, Roger Williams University
The immediate objective of this project is to obtain up-to-date and site-specific data on fisheries habitats of Rhode Island’s coastal waters that will contribute to sound management decisions. This project will classify and map fisheries habitats, based on benthic habitat characteristics and site-specific fisheries data. A second objective is to assess the functional importance of fish habitat to rebuilding fisheries stocks important to Southern New England.